Commercial Building Inspections
American Building Inspectors was originally established as a Commercial Building Inspection service for office, retail and apartment building investors.
All types of Commercial Buildings up to 100,000 square feet are inspected – apartment buildings, office space, retail, medical & educational facilities, warehouses, manufacturing facilities, taverns, restaurants, etc.
The American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) has published a Standard E2018-08, which defines “good commercial and customary practice for conducting a baseline Property Condition Assessment (PCA).” This standard was specifically written for commercial buildings and largely intended for commercial real estate transactions.
Our commercial inspections follow this ASTM Standard, since it is a defined protocol for due diligence commercial building inspections, divided into 4 basic parts:
- Perform document review (drawings, maintenance records, etc.).
- Perform a walk-through survey of the property.
- Prepare costs for remedies recommended.
- Document findings and costs in a written report.
As part of the PCA, the building inspection consultant should contact the local building department and local fire department to check for building or fire code violations, and to ensure that there is a certificate of occupancy.
Report contents usually include:
- Opinions of probable costs only for repairs likely to exceed $5,000. These costs should be for immediate repairs (within one year) and for short-term repairs (within one to two years).
- Estimates of remaining useful life for building components.
- Photographs of typical building elevations, systems and deficiencies noted.